Author Topic: GLtron is the original cross-platform TRON Lightcycles combat game  (Read 4043 times)

Software Santa

• Administrator
GLtron is the original cross-platform TRON Lightcycles combat game!

Santa remembers this Toy! He had it over 5 years ago on "System 9" - Does NOT work on Mac OS 10.7 "Lion" and Beyond!!!!

About GLtron
The first version of GLtron (0.1) was written on a rainy afternoon in June 1998, as an exercise for the computer graphics course at the university. After that, nothing happened.

One year later I was cleaning up my /home directory a little bit, and stumbled across the sources. I had recently discovered a website devoted to linux games called The Linux Game Tome. I thought: "well, clean it up a bit, make sure it compiles cleanly, and put it on a webpage", which I did. Version 0.2 was created (0.1 was the one written for the course). It was less than 5 kbyte. I got a few comments by E-Mail, and generally people thought that it was nice for such a small download, but probably a bit too simple.

Over the time, I improved it, released / announced / got feedback and released again. People started contributing small patches. I added textures, I received a soundtrack, a lightcycle model, better textures, tons of ideas etc.

Now that you read so much about GLtron's history, you're probably curious what's it about. Well, as the name suggests, it's inspired by the movie TRON. Or more exactly, by all the games that where inspired by the movie TRON.

You steer a futuristic bike, called lightcycle. Combat takes place in a rectangular arena. Your bike leaves a trail behind, which is like a wall. The goal is to force the other players to drive into a wall. The winner is the last player alive.

I'm determined to continue working on GLtron from time to time for a while, at least until I can play some of you guys online! So keep that feedback coming! Tell me what you like, and more important, what you don't like and what you want added to the game. Check out the ideas page too.

Download

The following platforms are currently supported: Linux, Win32, MacOS X . A Mac OS 9 binary is provided, but unsupported.

For older releases and other platforms, see the unsupported platforms link.

For Linux, there are two versions. The source distribution and a binary. The binary uses the great installer from the friendly guys at Loki Games and is really easy to install. Just make sure OpenGL works on your system, then download the installer and run it (as root, if you want to install to system-wide).

If you want to compile the source, you'll need to install some libraries, namely SDL, SDL_sound, libmikmod and libpng. If you have a newer distribution, you proably have these already. After that it's ./configure && make . And then, as root, make install

The Win32 binary comes with an installer. Just run the .exe

The MacOS binary is compiled by Darrell Walisser (walisser at mac . com) (thanks a lot!). Unstuff it and see the included Readme file for MacOS specific information. Does NOT work on Mac OS 10.7 "Lion" and Beyond!!!!

http://www.gltron.org/download.php
« Last Edit: January 09, 2016, 09:05:59 PM by Software Santa »

Software Santa first opened on January 1st, 2007
Now celebrating 16 Years of being a Digital Santa Claus!
Software Santa's Speedy Site is Proudly Hosted by A2 Hosting.

Welcome Visitor:

@MEMBER OF PROJECT HONEY POT
Spam Harvester Protection Network
provided by Unspam

Software Santa Welcome Page

The Software Santa Privacy Policy