is a free, open source, "on-the-fly" transparent disk encryption program for PCs and PDAs Replaces "PGP Whole Disk Encryption" and you save over $150
What is FreeOTFE?http://www.freeotfe.org/download.html
FreeOTFE is a free, open source, "on-the-fly" transparent disk encryption program for PCs and PDAs
Using this software, you can create one or more "virtual disks" on your PC/PDA. These disks operate exactly like a normal disk, with the exception that anything written to one of them is transparently, and securely, encrypted before being stored on your computer's hard drive.
While remaining easy to use, FreeOTFE's features list includes:
* Highly portable - Not only does FreeOTFE offer "portable mode", eliminating the need for it to be installed before use, it also offers FreeOTFE Explorer - a system which allows FreeOTFE volumes to be accessed not only without installing any software, but also on PCs where no administrator rights are available. This makes it ideal for use (for example) with USB flash drives, and when visiting Internet Cafés (AKA Cybercafés), where PCs are available for use, but only as a "standard" user.
* Source code freely available
* Easy to use; just drag files to your virtual drive to encrypt them!
* Data encrypted on your PC can be read/written on your PDA, and vice versa
* Powerful: Supports numerous hash/encryption algorithms, and provides a greater level of flexibility than a number of other (including commercial!) OTFE systems
* Available in English, Spanish, German, Italian and French, with support for other language translations
* Hash algorithms include: MD5, SHA-512, RIPEMD-160, Tiger and many more
* Cyphers include AES (256 bit), Twofish (256 bit), Blowfish (448 bit), Serpent (256 bit) and many more
* Cypher modes supported include XTS, LRW and CBC (including XTS-AES-128 and XTS-AES-256)
* Security tokens/smartcards supported for extra (optional) security
* Operates under both PC (MS Windows 2000/XP) and PDA (Windows Mobile 2003/2005 and Windows Mobile 6) platforms
* Linux compatibility (Cryptoloop "losetup", dm-crypt and LUKS supported)
* "Hidden" volumes may be concealed within other FreeOTFE volumes, providing "plausible deniability"
* FreeOTFE volumes have no "signature" to allow them to be identified as such
* Encrypted volumes can be either file or partition based.
* Modular design allowing 3rd party drivers to be created, incorporating new hash/cypher algorithms
* Decryption software available to improve transparency, and allow even the most junior software engineer to prove data is being encrypted correctly
* Supports password salting (up to 512 bits), reducing the risks presented by dictionary attacks.
* Allows users to backup and restore the critical areas of volume files.
* Keyfile support included; store volumes and their associated metadata separately.
* Volume file timestamps and attributes are reset after dismounting, increasing "plausible deniability"
* Supports volumes files up to 2^63 bytes (8388608 TB)
* Comprehensive documentation
* Naturally, fully supported by SecureTrayUtil.
* Plus more...!