Author Topic: JAVA Fabled Lands is a faithful copy of the Fabled Lands Storybook Series  (Read 5533 times)

Software Santa

• Administrator
  • Operating System:
  • Mac OS X 10.6 Mac OS X 10.6
  • Browser:
  • Firefox 15.0 Firefox 15.0
Java Fabled Lands is a faithful copy of the Fabled Lands Storybook Series of Adventures ... Requires Java 5 (1.5) Or Better.

Like the "Fighting Fantasy" or "Choose Your Own Adventure" BOOKS - Your real time choices actually change the game itself: and influence the Outcome!
  Save Often!!!! You can reload the game from the last saved point if you get killed or cursed. And, If you Own the Physical Books themselves ... you can 'read ahead' from the page you are in, in the game, by turning to the page numbers indicated, in your books, and seeing what grisly or lovely thing awaits you in advance ... [I.E. - CHEAT]

Quick Download: https://sourceforge.net/projects/flapp/files/latest/download

Java Fabled Lands (JaFL)
(formerly known as FLApp)

Why the namechange?

The authors asked me nicely. When it first came out, 'app' simply meant application; since then, mobile apps have become ubiquitous, to the extent that the former name actually has a ring of official-ness. Hopefully this leaves room for an actual official Fabled Lands App?

👍🏽 Software Santa LOVES his Copy! A Software Santa Pick! 👍🏽 This Game has Been Out for 10 Years Now (The Books themselves from 25 Years Ago!!!) - Software Santa has been trapped inside it for Over EIGHT YEARS, So Far!!!! He was last seen in "Yellowport" in possession of over 2500 "shards" ... Santa Sez "I AM Buying those Books!!!!"  (Number 7 is Published!!!!!) 👍🏽

Oh, It is bigger than it LOOKS. This is just a map of the Eastern End of this World - about a seventh
of all of it - and just the major highlights, at that. ENDLESS Exploration and Quests Await You.

This is Dungeons and Dragons role playing ... the books (this game) are the Dungeon Master / The Dungeon / The Maps / Your Quest Log ...
ALL Rolled into One!!! You decide which choice and click on it ... to be whisked away to the NEXT Page ... with your Fate upon it.

Fabled Lands App

Project Info

Fabled Lands?

Fabled Lands was a gamebook series originally published in 1995-6. There were 12 planned volumes, but only 6 7 were ever published, because the gamebook market had virtually imploded.

Gamebooks? What?

Um, do you remember Fighting Fantasy? No? What about "Choose Your Own Adventure?" A few heads are nodding.

The basic concept is an interactive story, written in the second person, cut up into short numbered sections; at the end of each section you're given a choice as to which section comes next, based on your 'action' within the narrative. A gamebook adds some RPG-ish rules to the mix. Essentially it's a solo role-playing game with a lot of reading.

But what does this mean for us today?

This project is an adaptation of the first six published books: for the computer. Note the word 'adaptation': I've tried to stay as close as possible to the original text, handling all the rules and leaving the player free to read and enjoy without the (sometimes tedious) record-keeping. The player is faced with something very much like a web-page, and other windows displaying a map and the character's abilities.

Looks interesting. How do I try it?

Easy, just download the latest version: this contains all the books that have been converted. You'll need to have Java 5 (or later) on your computer: refer to the README.txt file in the zip-file you've just downloaded.

I keep dying. This is too hard.

Try starting in book 5 and traveling east, into the easier books. That way your character will be more able to tackle anything that comes your way. Don't forget to save frequently: that way you can reload if things go pear-shaped. If you've got some spare cash, it's worthwhile to buy some blessings. A luck blessing gives you a second chance in most situations.

http://flapp.sourceforge.net/

https://sourceforge.net/projects/flapp/files/latest/download
« Last Edit: November 27, 2020, 10:00:59 PM by Software Santa »

Software Santa first opened on January 1st, 2007
Now celebrating 16 Years of being a Digital Santa Claus!
Software Santa's Speedy Site is Proudly Hosted by A2 Hosting.

Welcome Visitor:

@MEMBER OF PROJECT HONEY POT
Spam Harvester Protection Network
provided by Unspam

Software Santa Welcome Page

The Software Santa Privacy Policy

email