Author Topic: Really Slick Screensavers has some COOL Cross-Platform open source Screensavers  (Read 10757 times)

Software Santa

• Administrator
  • Operating System:
  • Mac OS X 10.6 Mac OS X 10.6
  • Browser:
  • Firefox 10.0.2 Firefox 10.0.2
Really Slick Screensavers has some COOL Cross-Platform open source Screensavers!

For Linux / Solaris / Mac OS X / Windows   Requested by Lucy S. - here you go Lucy, enjoy!

Software Santa LOVES his Copies! A Software Santa Pick! A Must Have - going on the Portable Apps Stick to Share

Software Santa's note: I started using the Macintosh OS X ports of "Lattice" (and several other of these COOL screen savers) about a decade ago and have ALWAYS loved them. Last week I find out at least one of these screensavers is interactive, and who made the originals (that some other kind soul ported to my platform {but I am sure he mentioned where he got them - so long ago} .... and so, for over a Decade's worth of Eye Candy enjoyment, I offer my sincere thanks to Terry Welsh! You Rock!

Click a thumbnail to enlarge it.

Welcome to the Web's most visually exciting collection of original, open-source screensavers. Please see the downloads page for current releases for Windows and to find ports of these savers for other operating systems. If you are curious about anything, the FAQ has answers to many common questions.

Microcosm

A phantasmagoria of gooey geometric shapes, this saver will give you a splattering, writhing spectacle of 3D patterns and vibrant colors on your computer screen. Watch a single wriggling gizmo if you don't want your computer to heat up too much, or watch kaleidoscope mode for the full effect. Type any two-digit number between '00' and '53' to activate a specific gizmo. ( not, apparently, on the Mac OS X port   :cry:   )

Hyperspace

Cruise through the far reaches of space really, really fast. Fly between the stars, across oozing cosmic planes, and through endless shimmering tunnels. ...really fast.

Helios

Throw together some attraction/repulsion particle effects and some smooth implicit surfaces and this is what you get.

Euphoria

This is about as psychedelic as screensavers get. I thought Plasma was at the top of the scale, but this one is even more nauseating. You'd better find one of those air sickness bags before you stare at this one for too long.

Skyrocket

The most full-blown fireworks screensaver ever. It has bright lights, smoke trails, clouds that are illuminated by the explosions, sound effects, and plenty of other eye candy. Keyboard commands allow you to launch various types of rockets, pause the movement of the fireworks, and control the camera with the mouse. OpenGL is used for the graphics and OpenAL is used for the sound.
Skyrocket key controls:
f    Pause/resume the fireworks' particles
g    Toggle slow motion fireworks
c    Pause/resume the camera movement
n    New camera view
m    Toggle mouse camera control
Left mouse button = accelerate
Right mouse button = decelerate
Launch a specific type of rocket:
1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 0, q, w, e, r, t, y, u, i, o
(Easter Egg: [ or ] shoots off MASSIVE IMPLOSIONS ... Software Santa discovered these himself.)

Solar Winds

This is a very mesmerizing particle effects saver. Tweak the settings a little and you'll find that you can achieve an amazing number of different animated patterns. You can also connect the particles with lines for a very different effect.

Lattice

Fly through an endless world of linked rings. You can choose from several different textures for the rings and alter the comlexity of the lattice structure.

Flux

This screensaver rocks. If you know anything about strange attractors, you might recognize the patterns created by this saver.

Plasma

Probably the second most psychedelic screensaver in existence. Just try to picture all those colors moving around.

Field Lines

This is a simulation of the electric field lines between charged particles. Physics never looked so good.

Flocks

Here is a 3D variation on swarm savers, a favorite old theme. Try it out with Chromatek's ChromaDepth glasses for a cool 3D effect.

Cyclone

This screensaver makes tornadoes on your screen. I wrote it for my storm chasing buddy, but you can have it too. Have a look at his weather page if you're interested in meteorology and severe weather.

http://www.reallyslick.com/screensavers.html
« Last Edit: December 25, 2019, 12:43:51 PM by Software Santa »

Software Santa first opened on January 1st, 2007
Now celebrating 16 Years of being a Digital Santa Claus!
Software Santa's Speedy Site is Proudly Hosted by A2 Hosting.

Welcome Visitor:

@MEMBER OF PROJECT HONEY POT
Spam Harvester Protection Network
provided by Unspam

Software Santa Welcome Page

The Software Santa Privacy Policy