Author Topic: The famous Macintosh Talking Moose is now Available for Windows XP or Vista  (Read 3748 times)

Software Santa

• Administrator
  • Operating System:
  • Mac OS X 10.6 Mac OS X 10.6
  • Browser:
  • SeaMonkey 2.13.1 SeaMonkey 2.13.1
The famous Macintosh Talking Moose is now Available for Windows XP or Vista!

The Talking Moose... 

Created in 1986 and quite popular in the early 1990's, this software (originally by Steve Halls) won an "Eddie" award in 1992. (More detail about that award from Macuser magazine there.)

In 1997 it was re-created and modernized (for Macintosh computers) by Uli Kusterer, as Uli's Moose.

In 2007 it was recreated for windows PCs by Aaron Lambert, as Talking Moose XP.

For the Talking Moose XP or Vista versions, they were originally released by Aaron Lambert for download on Softpedia.com and also were available on his website aaronlambert.com. But unfortunately, (and hopefully temporarily), that website is not available. So, with Aaron Lambert's permission, here are his downloadable Installer files, to install the Talking Moose onto PCs.

Instructions: Click on the download links at the Site, and then Save the setup file to your desktop. Then run the setup. When you're finally finished, you can delete the setup files off of your desktop.

Download Talking Moose for Vista

Download Talking Moose for win XP

or click here to get Uli's Moose, the Talking Moose for Macintosh computers.

On a personal note, let me tell you why I still like the Talking Moose after all these years, and give some advice for using it.

There is a tendency to let him speak too often, because he's very funny and you want to hear a lot in a hurry. But for long term enjoyment, I recommend restraint, and set the timer to no sooner than 15 minutes. Then he won't be repeatedly interrupting you while you are talking to someone else.

I personally really like the feature of the Moose telling you the time, like "Its 3 o'clock pm", every hour.

I love the "speak the weather report" feature, but I set the timer so its only telling me the weather every 4 hours, which works out nicely for when I'm ready to leave the office for lunch or to go home.

The Moose has mellowed and changed character gradually over the years. He says much fewer things that are critical of you, and has added many hundreds of new jokes. So now the Moose is more like a joke-telling machine, and with over a 1,000 phrases, it's an extensive library of humor!

The default microsoft voices are not very good. I found better voices are available on the internet.

Want to learn more about the history of the Talking Moose? This article from Wired magazine gives a good summary. Some jokingly suggest that the Talking Moose might be the best software of all-time. And it's fame as a historical talking software personality is clear from this article wishing that today's talking GPS software had more personality, like the Moose or John Cleese.

Sept 21, 2010, Update: A new website talkingmoose.ca has been created, to show pictures and blog comments about the development of a new 3D talking Moose.

Last modified: Sept 21, 2010

http://www.halls.md/moose/index.htm

Software Santa first opened on January 1st, 2007
Now celebrating 16 Years of being a Digital Santa Claus!
Software Santa's Speedy Site is Proudly Hosted by A2 Hosting.

Welcome Visitor:

@MEMBER OF PROJECT HONEY POT
Spam Harvester Protection Network
provided by Unspam

Software Santa Welcome Page

The Software Santa Privacy Policy

email