Author Topic: Unseen.is has Private and Secure Real Time Messaging Calling and Email  (Read 3631 times)

Software Santa

• Administrator
  • Operating System:
  • Mac OS X 10.9 Mac OS X 10.9
  • Browser:
  • Firefox 29.0 Firefox 29.0
Unseen.is has Private and Secure Real Time Messaging Calling and Email From Iceland.

Software Santa thanks "Richard W." for the a link to this site/sevice! A tip of Software Santa's Santa Cap to him!

Unseen.is

Private and Secure.
Real Time Messaging, Calling and Email.
From Iceland.

Frequently Asked Questions

What does Unseen do?

Our service provides privacy and security for messaging, email and calling. We offer a website, mobile apps and desktop clients that all work together to help you securely communicate wherever you are.

What’s the goal of Unseen?

Our goal is to restore the human right to communicate freely and learn the truth. Today, messages are intercepted and stored for a variety of purposes. When someone can get a copy of a message and read it while it’s in transit, it’s also possible that they could block it or modify it under certain circumstances. What kind of world would we have if you couldn’t openly share your thoughts with others? This is the reason we built Unseen.

Where are you based?

Our company and servers are based in Iceland, where very strict data privacy laws help to protect your information. Icelanders are fiercely independent and have protected the rights of others, including Falun Gong

On what platforms is Unseen available?

We currently offer a web-based version and will soon have a beta version of Windows, Mac and Ubuntu clients for user testing. Android is coming on strong and iPhone versions will be coming shortly, too. All applications are free to download. We feel people want to access their secure messages whereever they go.

Why do I need this service?

If you value your privacy and security, then you need a service that protects your communications. Most email apps, social networks and chat applications don’t have very robust security, are commonly hacked, and even read your messages to target advertising and for other purposes. It has also been recently revealed that they have been handing over data in bulk to various spies and agencies. Additionally, even if you don’t have an account on a web-based email service, when you send a message to someone who does, that service reads your email and creates a profile on you and stores and shares that information, too. Unseen is different. We use very strong security to stop hackers and spies and never, ever read any of your messages. Only you keep the key with Unseen.

How does it work?

We use a hybrid peer-to-peer and hosted network solution for transmission of encrypted messages. Messages are encrypted and decrypted by each person sending or receiving a message. They are never decrypted along the way (we don’t have the key). This is done automatically and is transparent to the user and our services will appear on the surface to work the same as the regular free email or chat services.

What kind of encryption do you offer?

Messages on our service are sent using 4096-bit encryption, which is considered extremely strong. you generate your keys with extremely strong lattice based encryption. To that, we add an advanced symmetrical encryption which is very easy to use with keys 16x longer than those found in AES256, an industry standard. According to our engineers, this will take 23840 times longer to crack than aes256, which is commonly known as "military grade" encryption.

How do you stop hackers from getting access to my data?

Data from each of your messages is encrypted separately, with your key -- even we can’t read your messages.

The other approach that hackers use is that they try to hack the server itself. If they are successful then it is like a treasure chest of user data. But not with Unseen. All data from each account is encrypted separately so even if a hacker got access to any data on the server, he would have no way to locate your data and even if he decrypted one small piece of data, he wouldn’t have access to the rest of the data.

If you use only the peer to peer client, none of your data will be on our servers, so if someone hacked our servers, they wouldn’t have access to any of your data.

Presently I use Skype, can I continue to use it?

You can keep using Skype, but that’s not as secure because most Skype communications now go through the central datacenter. They keep the keys to the encryption and they are out of your contro. We don’t recommend it, but if you have a lot of people still using Skype, you might need to keep using it. Be sure to completely kill the app if you are not using it, it’ll consume a lot of cpu and bandwidth.

Do you offer encrypted file storage?

Right now, encryption is applied only to documents sent through our system. Encryption is not yet available for documents stored on your local computer. However, we’re working on some things to enable through our new Iceland based cloud storage.

Do I need a new email address or can I keep the one I have?

You can keep the one you have, but you’ll be given a new one at unseen.is. Let’s say you get the account name penelope. The email will automatically be penelope@unseen.is.

It’s a completely separate email address from your other account.

Can I send emails/chat messages to parties outside of Unseen?

You can send emails to third party addresses. In most cases emails sent to third party addresses will be unencrypted. You can also send encrypted emails to the third party address, but the third party email service would have to be using the same encryption that we use (currently PGP) and you would need your recipients public key. Otherwise it would be impossible for them to decrypt the message. If you don’t have your recipients public key, your message will be sent without encryption.

It’s more secure for both of you if are using unseen.is because the email won’t be travelling over the internet as email. It’ll go from your computer to our server, then to the recipient’s computer in an encrypted tunnel.

The chat feature is only from Unseen user to Unseen user.. For chat we use a very specific encryption that no other services use, so they would never be able to read the messages you sent them. As a result the chat is a closed system. This makes the chat system significantly more secure.

For audio or video calling, do both sides need to be using Unseen?

For calling, you have to both be using Unseen. That’s the only way we can guarantee you’ll be secure and that things are compatible. Calls will be able to work between the web, desktop clients (win, mac, ubuntu) and mobile apps.

Isn’t a web service less secure?

Our services are developed to provide the highest level of security widely available on the web. We expect to continue improving and developing better solutions to protect your information. Applications specific to a particular operating system do offer more security, but the web is extremely convenient because you can get your messages anywhere, even if you are borrowing someone elses computer.

What’s the difference between the free version and the premium version?

The free version provides a modest amount of free encrypted storage and allows sharing of files of up to 50MB. The premium version provides 2GB of encrypted storage, file sharing up to 40GB, group audio/video calling, and premium users can generate and store their own private key.

How do you make sure terrorists don’t use your platform to do bad stuff?

How do you know terrorists arent using Google? (They probably do!) Bad people use all kinds of different things like telephones and cars and we don’t stop using those because they might be misused by someone. We don’t intentionally look to serve terrorists or people who commit acts of violence or steal or damage property.

What if you get a request from the government to hand everything over?

Because we’re based in Iceland, we have to follow Icelandic laws. That means that if we receive a warrant for a particular person that is issued in Iceland and valid there, our Icelandic director will evaluate the request. If he finds that it’s a legally valid request and reasonable, the information we have from a particular person will have to be turned over. It’s illegal in Iceland to create a "backdoor" or give anyone bulk access to the data. Because we don’t keep the key, all messages are encrypted. We can only provide whatever data we have for the user and if the user’s profile settings don’t store data on our servers, we might have an email address and that’s about it.

How do I upgrade my free account to premium?

To upgrade your account, just log into your account and click on the “Upgrade to Premium” button in the menu bar at the top of the page. From here you will be taken to a payment page. If you are only purchasing a single upgrade, the account you are logged into will be upgraded automatically after payment.

I have several accounts that need to be upgraded, can this be done?

If you are purchasing multiple upgrades, you will receive an upgrade code that can be used to upgrade exactly the number of accounts that you purchased. To upgrade with an upgrade code that you have previously purchased, click the ’Upgrade to Premium’ button, paste in your upgrade code in the form and submit the form.

If I purchase a lifetime premium account will I ever be charged again?

If I purchase a lifetime premium account will I ever be charged again?

Do you offer an affiliate program?

Do you want to earn money for referring user to Unseen? We offer an affiliate program for all of our premium account holders. If you have a premium account, you are already an Unseen affiliate. To access the affiliate area, just hover over the gear menu item in the top-right corner and select the affiliate menu item. You can find all the information you need to start earning from this page.

I have forgotten my password and/or username, how can I retrieve them?

When at the Unseen login page, click on the ’Forgot Password’ link. Enter your username or email id and click on the ’Reset password’. Please not that if you have defined a different email address (other than username@unseen.is) as your primary email account, you need to check that email account for new mail and get your password from there. Alternatively you can request a password reset from the Unseen support via email (support@unseen.is) or thru the online support page at http://support.unseen.is

What payment methods do you accept?

We currently accept the following payment methods: Paypal, Korta, Bitcoin and all major credit cards via https://spacebox.io/s/se6x2uCsTx

My login fails, what should I do?

If you were certain your password and username were correct and you cannot login, download the UnSeen Desktop Client from http://download.unseen.is as it in some cases works better than browser version. If you still cannot login, please contact the Unseen support at http://support.unseen.is or send email to support@unseen.is

How do I delete my Unseen account?

To delete your account please send an email to support@unseen.is from the accounts primary email address asking us to delete your account. In the future we will provide an account deletion option in your profile.

https://unseen.is/
« Last Edit: April 21, 2015, 12:33:34 PM by Software Santa »

Software Santa first opened on January 1st, 2007
Now celebrating 16 Years of being a Digital Santa Claus!
Software Santa's Speedy Site is Proudly Hosted by A2 Hosting.

Welcome Visitor:

@MEMBER OF PROJECT HONEY POT
Spam Harvester Protection Network
provided by Unspam

Software Santa Welcome Page

The Software Santa Privacy Policy

email