Author Topic: ZBar is a Windows Systems screen utility for those who use multiple monitors  (Read 1998 times)

Software Santa

• Administrator
  • Operating System:
  • Mac OS X 10.9 Mac OS X 10.9
  • Browser:
  • SeaMonkey 2.32 SeaMonkey 2.32
ZBar is a Windows Systems screen utility for those who use multiple monitors

ZBar

ZBar is a utility for those who use multiple monitors. If you have a single screen, then there's nothing to see here. Move on.

If you have two or more monitors, then Windows only puts the task bar at the bottom of one of those monitors, and although you can move windows to the second monitor, the task bar button for those windows still lives at the bottom of the primary monitor. This doesn't "feel" right to me, so ZBar was born.

Functionality

ZBar will:

Put a taskbar across the top or bottom of all non-primary screens with one or two rows of buttons, in six styles, with an optional clock
    Provide keyboard shortcuts to move windows one screen along
    Organise your desktop wallpaper one image per screen or one image across all screens
    Display a six month calendar, last month, this month, and four months ahead

Restrictions

I had to learn a lot to get ZBar running, and it's taught me that although Windows clearly defines how applications should create windows and use the task bar, there are a number which don't use these conventions. Yes, I'm talking to you WinAMP, Office and Skype. As I use those apps myself, I've been able to make a special case for them within the ZBar code, but there will no doubt be more.

I spent a long while trying to get the wallpaper code to work every time. My virtual desktop is 3200x1200, and it works every time. However, when I added a third monitor to make the wallpaper 4800x1200 in size, it would work once or twice before failing. Rebooting means it would work again.

ZBar is the only screen utility which provides multiple taskbars, manages wallpaper, and is free.

http://www.zhornsoftware.co.uk/zbar/

Software Santa first opened on January 1st, 2007
Now celebrating 16 Years of being a Digital Santa Claus!
Software Santa's Speedy Site is Proudly Hosted by A2 Hosting.

Welcome Visitor:

@MEMBER OF PROJECT HONEY POT
Spam Harvester Protection Network
provided by Unspam

Software Santa Welcome Page

The Software Santa Privacy Policy