is now free for all non-commercial purposes! Command line rendering tool for merely rendering pre-constructed 3D Models - cross platform.Software Santa thanks Richard for sending this one in: Thank you Richard!
Here's some more details on the offer from TechSupport Alert: freeware
As professional rendering software at the leading edge of technical development, familiarity with general computer graphics modeling, animation, lighting, and rendering concepts is important to properly utilize RenderMan's capabilities. If you are not familiar with the process of rendering images, we recommend becoming familiar with one of the supported CG authoring solutions listed above first.
5. Is Non-Commercial RenderMan restricted in any way?
No. Non-Commercial RenderMan is functionally identical to the commercial version used by creative artists the world over, offering free and complete access to its capabilities. There are no limitations except that Non-Commercial RenderMan is node-locked and does not have a floating network license. Upon installation and acceptance of the EULA, Non-Commercial RenderMan should only thereafter be used for non-commercial purposes.
One helpful user posted the following (in part):
(When you) click on "Download and Install" it (says you must) to be a member of the the free forum so (you register):Software Santa Sez:
1) click on the link, fill out the registration
2) go to (and follow) the verification link sent to (your) email
3) (go) back to the link in that article and follow it, then click on the "Download and Install" link again
4) (make) sure (you are) still logged into the free forum before clicking the "Next" button
5) choose (your) version, hit the "Next" button and download the small installer file
6) when running that installer (you must) tell it - by clicking on the 'pop-up' about not detecting which "Maya" version (you) had previously installed, and to "show all" versions of Maya and let (you) choose (your) version - to install only the RenderMan Pro version (the top choice) with no Maya support.
... The "Full" program cost $499 and up. There is no "Official Support" with the Free version, only other users help in the free support forum ....
this is a complex app and it requires lots of learning, 3rd party Apps, and hard work to get anything out of it.
Unless you plan on using it professionally: you are better off with something simple (relatively so), totally free, and complete out-of-the-box functionality like Blender
And you may use Blender
for Commercial - Money Making - purposes with no limitations!
Still want the Original Pixar RenderMan? Are you SURE?http://rendermansite.pixar.com/view/non-commercial-renderman