is an Open Source Enterprise Content Management (CMS) including Web Content
This application is more useful to you if you're a corporation with a web site ...
Alfresco is the leading open source alternative for enterprise content management. The open source model allows Alfresco to use best-of-breed open source technologies and contributions from the open source community to get higher quality software produced more quickly at much lower cost. Our goal is to not only provide an open source offering but to surpass commercial offerings in terms of features, functionality and benefits to the user community. Alfresco is built by a team of leading members from Documentum® and Interwoven® with 15 years experience in Enterprise Content Management (ECM), including the co-founder of Documentum.http://wiki.alfresco.com/wiki/Download_Alfresco_Community_Network
* Enterprise Content Management (ECM)
* Document Management
* Records Management
* Knowledge Management
* Web Content Management
The Benefits of Using Alfresco
* Intelligent Virtual File System – As simple to use as a shared drive through CIFS, WebDAV or FTP
* Google®-Like Search and Yahoo!®-Like Folder Browsing
* Aspect Oriented Rules Development through Simple-to-Use Wizards
* Rules and Actions Managed in the Server once for all Interfaces
* Pre-Configured Smart-Space Templates – Project Structure, Content, Logic, Lifecycles
* Forums – Threaded Discussions on Folders or Documents
* Simple Server Install and No Client Install
* Advanced Content Security Management
Advanced Search/Knowledge Management
* Sophisticated Content, Attribute, Location, Object Type and Multiple Taxonomy/Category Search
* Highly Scalable and Fault Tolerant Service Oriented Architecture
* Dramatically Lower Cost
The cost, complexity and lack of portal integration of traditional ECM systems prevent them being rolled out to the enterprise successfully. End users turn to the shared drive for simplicity. This causes content to go uncontrolled, unaudited and undiscovered.
“Open Source changes the whole cost profile of Enterprise Content Management”
Patsy Drake, IT Director, Reed Managed Services plc.
“Blaine calculated that he'd need a document management system that could handle 1.2 terabytes of customer data a year. Since many of the documents needed to be held for compliance reasons for seven years, he'd need at least a 10-terabyte system”
Myron Blaine, System Architect, Boise Cascade, InformationWeek, April 2006
Alfresco have integrated state-of-the-art open source and Java technology such as Spring, Hibernate, Lucene, MyFaces, JSR-168, JSR-170 and web services into a simple-to-use, extensible, Enterprise Content Management (ECM) system. The intelligent repository provides out-of-the-box portal integration and full content control with integrated document management, security, document status and workflow. This allows Alfresco to turn your file system into a simple to use, compliant, auditable repository.