Author Topic: Colossal Cave Adventure is the granddaddy of all text based computer games!  (Read 3347 times)

Software Santa

• Administrator
Colossal Cave Adventure is the granddaddy of all text based computer games!

Welcome to Collosal Cave Adventure, the grand-daddy of all text computer games!

Adventure is a text based interactive fiction game, first written by Don Woods of BBN and Willie Crowther of SAIL in the '70s.  Since then, many versions of the game have been released, some expanding on previous versions, others being released for different platforms.

I discovered Collosal Cave in the fall of 1980 on one of the VAXen at school.  Instantly captivated by its conversational interface and logical scenarios, I became a slave to it for almost four years.  In 1984, I came across the source code for Dave Platt's interpreted version of a 565 point flavor of the game.  The interpreter ran on a state-of-the-art Xerox Sigma-9 equipped with a whopping 1 Mb. of RAM.

In 1987, armed with my very own MicroVAX II at the now defunct DEC AI Center in Hudson, Mass., I set up an Adventure newsgroup, and with the help of Marc Chardon, rewrote Dave's version in C for VMS.  Thirteen years later, I dusted off an old floppy and spent a delightful winter weekend porting the game to MS-DOS.

Adventure is kid-safe software and is rated E for Everyone!

Adventure's surprisingly mild-mannered fire-breathing dragon.  One of the many obstacles you'll need to conquer in order to solve the game!

How to play Adventure

Somewhere nearby is Colossal Cave, where others have found fortunes in treasure and gold, though it is rumored that some who enter are never seen again.  Magic is said to work in the cave!

The program is your eyes and hands.  Direct it with commands of one or two words.  Should you get stuck, type "HINT" or "CLUE" for some general hints.  For general information, type "INFO".  For up-to-date game details, type "NEWS".

To see how well you're doing, type "SCORE".  To quit, type "QUIT".

http://www.ravib.com/adv/

Software Santa first opened on January 1st, 2007
Now celebrating 16 Years of being a Digital Santa Claus!
Software Santa's Speedy Site is Proudly Hosted by A2 Hosting.

Welcome Visitor:

@MEMBER OF PROJECT HONEY POT
Spam Harvester Protection Network
provided by Unspam

Software Santa Welcome Page

The Software Santa Privacy Policy

email