(a.k.a. Cube 2
) is a free multiplayer / singleplayer first person shooter for Windows / Linux / or Mac OS X Computers!
Wow! This is REALLY Cool! Check out some of the Cool 3D worlds you can Battle in:
Sauerbraten (a.k.a. Cube 2) is a free multiplayer/singleplayer first person shooter, built as a major redesign of the Cube FPS.
Much like the original Cube, the aim of this game is not necessarily to produce the most features & eyecandy possible, but rather to allow map/geometry editing to be done dynamically in-game, to create fun gameplay and an elegant engine.
Sauerbraten is under constant development, but is very feature-rich and playable as a game. What follows is a list of the most prominent features.
* Oldskool fast & intense gameplay (read: similar to Doom 2 / Quake 1).
* Many multiplayer gameplay modes, most in teamplay variants as well: deathmatch, instagib, efficiency, tactics, capture (domination/battlefield style), coop edit (!).
* Masterserver & ingame server browser.
* Lag-free gameplay experience.
* Two singleplayer modes: DMSP (fight a monster invasion on any DM map), classic SP (progression driven SP like other games)
* 7 weapons tuned for maximum satisfaction: double barreled shogun, rocket launcher, machine gun, rifle, grenade launcher, pistol, fist.
* 6 directional heightfield in octree world structure allowing for instant easy in-game geometry editing (even in multiplayer, coop edit).
* Rendering engine optimized for high geometry throughput, supporting hardware occlusion culling.
* Lightmap based lighting with accurate shadows from everything including mapmodels, smooth lighting for faceted geometry, and fast compiles.
* Pixel and vertex shader support, each model and world texture can have its own shader assigned.
* Robust physics written specifically for this world structure.
* Loading of md2/md3 models for animated characters, weapons, items, world objects.
* Network library designed for high speed games, client/server network system.
* Small but complete configuration/scripting language.
* Simple stereo positional sound system.
* Particle engine, supporting text particles.
* 3d menu/gui system, for in-world representation of choices.
The Sauerbraten game is freeware, you may freely distribute the Sauerbraten archive/installer unmodified on any media. You may re-compress using different archival formats suitable for your OS (i.e. zip/tgz/rpm/deb/dmg), any changes beyond that require my explicit permission.
You may play Sauerbraten for any purpose as long as you don't blame the authors for any damages incurred.
More Information: http://sauerbraten.org/README.html
It's not for older systems, sorry.
When you decide to try out Sauerbraten you should be aware of your operating system, your current graphics chipset (manufacturer and card name) and that this project is still "Work in Progress" (WiP)!
Typically, to run Sauerbraten at playable speeds on minimum settings, you'll need at least:
1GHz or higher CPU, 256MB RAM and a GeForce 4 MX or equivalent GPU.
For maximum settings, you'll need at least:
2GHz or higher CPU, 512MB RAM and a GeForce 6600 or equivalent shader model 2.0 GPU.
Before you even download Sauerbraten, make sure you meet the above requirements and have the latest video card drivers installed for your OS. If you're on Linux, make sure you're not using MESA drivers, and if you're on Windows, make sure you're not using the generic drivers.
Be prepared that some graphics cards have problems running with the default configuration.
You should then try to use all toggles to reduce rendering complexity and work yourself up.
Categories: Games - Windows - LINUX - Mac System X - Panther? - Tiger - PPC - FPS ( first person shooters ) - Under Development