Author Topic: Neverball and Neverputt are 2 fun Cross-Platform Skill Arcade Games!  (Read 6121 times)

Software Santa

• Administrator
Neverball and Neverputt are 2 fun Cross-Platform Skill Arcade Games!

A Software Santa Pick!

About

Tilt the floor to roll a ball through an obstacle course before time runs out. Neverball is part puzzle game, part action game, and entirely a test of skill.

Also found here is Neverputt, a hot-seat multiplayer miniature golf game, built on the physics and graphics engine of Neverball.

Neverball and Neverputt are both known to run under Linux, Win2K/XP, FreeBSD, and Mac OSX. Hardware accelerated OpenGL is required. A 500MHz processor is recommended.

Status

The current version includes 141 Neverball levels and 134 Neverputt holes.

Community & Contact

Neverball fans shino and mym have put together a Neverball Hall of Fame. This site catalogs hundreds of crazy runs and high scores made by expert players. Take a look and witness some very impressive Neverball play. If you've got interesting replays of your own, be sure to submit them!

Visit the Discussion Forum to get in touch with the developers, or if you have questions, want to report bugs, or simply if you would like to chat with other players.

Mapping

Players interested in trying their hand at level creation are encouraged to install GtkRadiant and read through the mapping documentation. Levels of sufficent quality may be included in the next version; authors will be credited in-game.

Downloads

Neverball, which includes Neverputt, is available for download here, and will run on most popular operating systems. Neverball is released under the GNU GPL.

Source

neverball-1.5.4.tar.gz (25.53 MB)

Microsoft Windows

neverball-1.5.4-setup.exe (35.81 MB)

Mac OS X (Universal Binary)

neverball-1.5.3.dmg (52.04 MB)

Extra Levelsets

If you are looking for extra levels for Neverball or Neverputt, please visit the Discussion Forum to find un-official and in development sets. Maps found there may become integrated and official during the next release, however we do not anticipate releasing them as separate add-ons.

FAQ

"My computer does not meet the stated minimum system requirements, can I play Neverball anyway?"

The biggest performance killer is reflection. Turn that off in the Options screen. This feature requires a stencil buffer, which is poorly supported on some hardware. So in the event that the game doesn't even run, set reflection 0 in the neverballrc file.

Next, disable Shadow in the Options screen or set shadow 0 in the neverballrc file.

If your video board has less than 16MB of VRAM, set Textures to Low in the Options, or textures 2 in the neverballrc. This will eliminate texture thrashing.

You can also try setting Geometry to Low. It does reduce the onscreen polygon count somewhat, but not a lot. It's more of a placebo option.

"I prefer the old camera settings."

As documented in the README file, the camera may be returned to its pre-1.2.6 configuration by editing the following values in your neverballrc file:

view_fov 50
    view_dp  400
    view_dc  0
    view_dz  600

"The game takes control of my mouse. How can I make it let go so I can use another window?"

Press the spacebar to pause the game and toggle the pointer grab.

"Why don't you add an option to zoom the camera in and out?"

This is, without a doubt, the single most common feature suggestion suggested. The short answer is: "Because Super Monkey Ball doesn't have that feature."

The long answer recognizes the fact that the design of Neverball is not motivated by precise conformance to Monkey Ball. The truth is that the camera zoom has a profound effect on gameplay. It's much easier from far away. Allowing the player to zoom the camera removes the immersion that a 3rd person perspective provides, but that an overhead view does not. It undermines the latitude that a level designer has in shaping the feel and challenge of a level. In total, it changes the style of the game.

"How do I set the mouse sensitivity?"

Mouse sensitivity is set using the mouse_sense option in the neverballrc file. The default value is 300. This gives the number of screen pixels the mouse pointer must move to rotate the floor through its entire range. A smaller number means more sensitive.

One word of caution: new players often feel that the mouse is too sensitive. It may seem so for early levels, but it can be very different for later levels.

"I see a bug! When the ball goes below a platform you can see the shadow ABOVE the ball!"

The developers know this. The shadow code is easier this way. Don't think of it as a shadow, think of it as a reference point that tells you where a bouncing ball will land.

"Are there plans for a multi-player mode?"

We're not planning to implement a multi-player mode at this time, as it causes some incoherence problems: 2 players controlling the same floor?

"I would like to create my own maps, where do I start?"

Have a look at the level creation page of the wiki. You should start with the Level creation HowTo.

"What about adding mini-games just like in Super Monkey Ball?"

This is not our intent for the Neverball development (related forum thread).

http://icculus.org/neverball/
« Last Edit: October 18, 2010, 10:08:34 AM by Software Santa »

Software Santa first opened on January 1st, 2007
Now celebrating 16 Years of being a Digital Santa Claus!
Software Santa's Speedy Site is Proudly Hosted by A2 Hosting.

Welcome Visitor:

@MEMBER OF PROJECT HONEY POT
Spam Harvester Protection Network
provided by Unspam

Software Santa Welcome Page

The Software Santa Privacy Policy

email