Author Topic: OpenSong manages lyrics, chords, lead sheets, overheads, computer projection +  (Read 6671 times)

Software Santa

• Administrator
    • Software Santa
OpenSong manages lyrics, chords, lead sheets, overheads, computer projection, and more.

👍🏾 A Software Santa Pick!
This works on the Early 2008 Mac Pro!
Another fine toy from the Elves over at Source Forge!

http://www.opensong.org/

https://sourceforge.net/projects/opensong/

Welcome to OpenSong.org!

OpenSong is a free, open-source software application created to manage lyrics, chords, lead sheets, overheads, computer projection, and more.

OpenSong releases are available for Microsoft Windows, Mac OSX and Linux operating systems.

Download the full application for free and give it a try!

OpenSong is a free software application for managing chords and lyrics sheets (lead sheets), presenting lyrics (and custom slides) using a projector, and much more! Great for worship leaders and musicians!

Features

This is not a complete feature list!
Chord/Lyric Sheets

Automatically transpose chords to any key
      Print sheets with regular chords and capo-ed chords together
      Customize any font face, size, bold, italic, underline, etc. for any sheet elements including title, author, chords, lyrics, copyrights, and more.
      Keep track of a song's title, author, copyright, ccli #, tempo, time signature, theme, focus, capo position, user defined fields, and more!

Live Presentations

Present any song, specifying the order of slides, such as verse 1, then chorus, then verse 2, then the chorus again, etc.
      Present any passage of the Bible verse by verse
      Present a timed loop of slides, for use in situations such as automatically displaying announcements, verses, Q&As, etc.
      Present any combination of songs, scriptures, or loops back-to-back using sets.
      Fully customize font styles and sizes as well as shadowing and outlining for easy reading against colorful backgrounds
      Change the background color or background image to any image file

The concept of OpenSong started when I began searching for software to present song lyrics on our new projector at church. PowerPoint looked fine, but took a long time to setup, and changing songs and sets of songs on the fly was near impossible. The next best (read: cheapest) solution was PowerWorship which auto-creates the PowerPoint slides from the lyrics. This saved a lot of setup time, but on-the-fly setup was still very difficult. At that point, I began trying the church projection software ($$$) out there. I started with WorshipAssistant which also managed song chords. This was a great feature, but the presentation options were really lacking. Then I tried EasyWorship which had much more capable presentation options, but lacked any chord management. Of course, the price made the sell a bit harder too. I tried MediaShout. The price was impossible for our church to afford, but I thought I'd at least give it a try. It was... complicated. After a while I got the hang of it but it's whole focus was on presentation. I wanted something that could also solve some pratical issues for my church. That was it. I decided to take the plunge and... do it myself. By the way, those other software programs are all great. If they meet your church's needs, go with them. They all cost money (except PowerWorship) and I don't blame them for that. They have to pay developers, or feed their families, or whatever. My family will be fine without me charging for OpenSong, but donations are always nice...

Since the first public release of OpenSong, there have been thousands of downloads and it isn't even out of beta yet. In fact, it's not really out of alpha yet. Apparently there are a lot of people out there who have hit the same issues I have. As such, I hope that OpenSong continues to evolve to meet the needs to churches and individuals throughout the years to come. It is licensed under the GNU Public License which means even the source code for compiling OpenSong is free and available and no one can improve upon it (not even me) unless their source code remains free and available as well.

There are a lot of plans in the works: a Linux version, PowerPoint integration, video, CCLI reporting, etc. Stay tuned! If you feel called to help... HELP!

Sean Lickfold

Download Windows
  • OpenSong v2.1.2 for Windows
      Windows XP and higher. 32-bit (x86) application, also run on Windows 64-bit (x64). Portable installation included in installer.
Mac Linux & Source
  • OpenSong v2.1.2 for Linux
      OpenSong for Linux. You can install this package on 64-bit Ubuntu by using the command
      dpkg -i --force-architecture <full path to OpenSong .deb archive>
      On 64-bit Debian Linux installations you might need to install either the ia32-libs or the ai32-libs-multiarch package.
  • OpenSong v2.1.2 source code
  • OpenSong code repository
      Requires RealBasic 2011r5 or higher to compile.
Utilities
  • OpenSong Import v1.3
      OpenSong Import is a Windows-only companion application to help move song files into OpenSong from various and diverse formats. OSI's default import type is the CCLI SongSelect format. Other formats are included in the OSI package, and user-definable formats are possible. Full source code (in Delphi, not REALbasic) is included.

http://www.opensong.org/

https://sourceforge.net/projects/opensong/

« Last Edit: May 27, 2019, 11:22:04 PM by Software Santa »

email