Author Topic: Tower Toppler, aka Nebulous, is a cross platform remake of the original game  (Read 4819 times)

Software Santa

• Administrator
Tower Toppler, aka Nebulous, is a cross platform remake of the original game

Tower Toppler

In this game you have to help a cute little green animal switch off some kind of "evil" mechanism. The "power off switch" is hidden somewhere in high towers. On your way to the target you need to avoid a lot of strange robots that guard the tower.

That sounds all like a normal jump and run game. What makes this game different is that you walk arond the tower which is revolving on the screen, so that you only see the 180° that are currently visible.

The game is a reimplementation of the old game known as Tower Toppler or Nebulus. It was available for PC, Atari, C64. The author was J.M.Phillips and was published by Hewson software. I have seen the PC version on quite a few abandonware sites. But it is only a DOS version and uses ugly graphics.

Because I really enjoyed this game when it was published I reprogrammed it some years ago using PASCAL. I painted all the necessary graphics on my own (or used POVRAY) and finally got a program that behaves nearly identical if compared with the original.

Some time ago I decided to port this version to LINUX and C using SDL for the graphic and sound output. And here is the result.

State of the Work

The game fully playable. Everything is in place. Some more sounds could be added, surely some bugs are left but there should be nothing too serious.

There is a level editor that allows everyone to create new towers and missionfiles. So I am awaiting all your selfmade missions.

Downloads available for:

Source    
Windows Binary    
Windows Installer    
Suse 9.0 Src RPM    
Suse 9.0 RPM    
BeOS Binary
OS X Binary

http://toppler.sourceforge.net/

Software Santa first opened on January 1st, 2007
Now celebrating 16 Years of being a Digital Santa Claus!
Software Santa's Speedy Site is Proudly Hosted by A2 Hosting.

Welcome Visitor:

@MEMBER OF PROJECT HONEY POT
Spam Harvester Protection Network
provided by Unspam

Software Santa Welcome Page

The Software Santa Privacy Policy