Author Topic: CNN Student News dot Com is a GREAT Resource for Teachers and Students  (Read 4125 times)

Software Santa

• Administrator
  • Operating System:
  • Mac OS X 10.6 Mac OS X 10.6
  • Browser:
  • Firefox 3.6.13 Firefox 3.6.13
CNN Student News dot Com is a GREAT Resource for Teachers and Students

A Software Santa PICK!  ;D Software Santa has been watching this show on his local educational channel FOR YEARS and, just Today, realized it wasn't a listed resource. "D'Oh!" 

What is CNN Student News?

CNN Student News is a ten-minute, commercial-free, daily news program for middle and high school students produced by the journalists and educators at CNN. This award-winning show and its companion Web site are available free of charge throughout the school year.

Where can I find CNN Student News?

You can record the program on HLN from 4:00-4:10 a.m. ET Monday through Friday. You can also see it as a streamed video on our Web site (CNNStudentNews.com), or download it as a free podcast. The program is free and accessible to anyone who wants to watch; there are no subscription charges or contracts to complete.

What materials are available to use with the show?

At CNNStudentNews.com, you'll find a wealth of teacher materials presented free of charge, including Daily Transcripts for each show, Daily Discussion questions, the Media Literacy Question of the Day, in-depth Learning Activities, downloadable Maps and additional support materials to help students understand the news.

In addition, the educators at CNN offer Discussion Guides for CNN documentaries and initiatives, including Black in America, Latino in America and CNN Heroes.

How can I use this show and its materials in my classroom?

Some suggested teaching strategies:

After viewing CNN Student News, use the Daily Discussion to help students discuss and understand the stories covered in the program. The questions are designed to promote critical thinking and are written for middle and high school students, but they can easily be adapted for upper elementary school classes if you feel the topics addressed are appropriate.

The Media Literacy Question of the Day is designed to help students examine media messages and their delivery. You can use it as a great discussion starter either before or after watching the show.

You can use Learning Activities to enhance students' research, writing and verbal communication skills, and promote responsible use of the Internet. Distribute copies of a Learning Activity on a particular topic and have students complete it working in groups or for homework.

Distribute copies of the Daily Transcript and have students read the stories. Then, have students write their individual responses to that day's Daily Discussion questions or the weekly Newsquiz. This approach can be used to promote reading comprehension as well as in ESOL classes.

How do I get advance information about each day's show?

The Daily Education Alert offers information on the major stories we'll be covering that day. You can sign up for this email on our home page. You can also check the Daily Transcript to see what stories are in the show. We always recommend that teachers preview the 10-minute program, along with any video they choose to show in the classroom, before showing it to students.

How do I offer feedback about CNN Student News?

You'll find a "Contact Us" link on our homepage, which lets you fill out an email with your suggestions and input. We do read our emails and welcome educator, parent and student feedback.

How do I get a Shoutout for my class?

Follow the link in the Spotlight section on our home page to send us a Shoutout request iReport. You'll need to send in a picture of your school or class that you have taken yourself along with your Shoutout request. When you fill out the information, make sure there are phone numbers where we can reach you, as we will need to contact you and need you to secure parental permission for any minors who appear in the photo.

http://cnnstudentnews.com/
« Last Edit: November 24, 2011, 06:08:00 PM by Software Santa »

Software Santa first opened on January 1st, 2007
Now celebrating 16 Years of being a Digital Santa Claus!
Software Santa's Speedy Site is Proudly Hosted by A2 Hosting.

Welcome Visitor:

@MEMBER OF PROJECT HONEY POT
Spam Harvester Protection Network
provided by Unspam

Software Santa Welcome Page

The Software Santa Privacy Policy