Author Topic: LoseThos is a high performance OS designed for recreational programming  (Read 3813 times)

Software Santa

• Administrator
  • Operating System:
  • Mac OS X 10.6 Mac OS X 10.6
  • Browser:
  • Firefox 3.6.16 Firefox 3.6.16
LoseThos is a high performance OS designed for recreational programming

Trivial Solutions
                           The LoseThos 64-bit PC Operating System
                             Download LoseThos V7.03 (5.77 Meg)
                                   Burn a CD and boot it.
                                         It's Free!

Long mode on x86_64 computers has eight additional general purpose registers and all 16 of
the registers are 64-bit in size.  LoseThos runs in long mode and uses 64-bit pointers.  With
LoseThos, all tasks on all cores can directly access all RAM memory at all times with no
banking, protections or segmentation.  Essentially, in LoseThos there are no virtual
addresses, just physical, because PAGING IS NOT UTILIZED.

LoseThos is like nothing else -- I wrote all of it, entirely from scratch, including the
compiler/assembler.  We're not in Kansas any longer -- I changed the language.  See
Language Differences from C/C++. No point doing an operating system if it's not different and
better.

Your assumption is that LoseThos is for pathetic hardware because of the graphics?  Nope, it
requires a minimum of, like, a x86_64 2.0 Ghz CPU.  It's the best you can do without GPU
acceleration.  See LoseThos Graphics.  Emulators are like running on pathetic hardware, so
run it directly or use VMWare.  It's not very power efficient for laptops, either.

I can't be in the business of having different drivers for the same class of device. 
LoseThos sticks to reasonably common hardware for 64-bit or better machines.  Since GPU's
vary, LoseThos has no GPU acceleration.  This article explains that a GPU is much faster than
a CPU.  Non-GPU graphics are too slow for high resolutions, so LoseThos will always be
640x480x 16 color.  (It takes 1/37th as much CPU power for 640x480x4bit compared to
1600x1200x24bit.)

This is not a amateur operating system.  I was a paid operating system developer for
Ticketmaster at age 20 in 1990 and have worked on this full-time for 7.7 years.  Unlike Linux
which is, technically, just a kernel, LoseThos includes a complete tool-chain -- 64-bit
kernel, 64-bit compiler, assembler, editor, graphics library, document framework and tools
such as grep and merge.  It never executes code I did not write except a couple BIOS calls
during boot.  However, it has no networking and with no protections, will crash on bugs or
misuse.

LoseThos is for recreational programming.  I donno, why did consumers buy those kits in the
1970's where you flipped switches to program?  With LoseThos, user programmers are a higher
priority than developers and simplicity is a priority.  So, LoseThos is for a small niche. 
This is not a group-think understanding of "operating system."  LoseThos's simplicity offers
something distinct compared to Linux because Linux's code is intimidating.  In the case of
Linux, the term, "open source" is cruel to amateur programmers.

The intended way to use LoseThos is to dual boot on your best machine.  LoseThos is all about
raw CPU horsepower -- 64-bit, multicored -- making it easy to program without struggling. 
That's what LoseThos is about.

You can dual boot by installing it on a free partition on your main hard drive, but the
easiest way to dual boot is to add a second, spare, hard drive; install on that; and use the
BIOS to select which hard drive to boot.  A FAT32 partition can be used to transfer between
operating systems.  Make 2 or 3 tiny partitions for LoseThos and, periodically, just copy
everything to one of these partitions, making redundant back-ups.  The entire LoseThos
distribution is only 5 Meg, right?

LoseThos' Features

* 64-bit x86, preemptive multitasking, kernel with multicore support.  For
Core_i7, Core_2_Duo, Pentium_D...  nothing worse than a
Pentium_4_Extreme_Edition.

* 64-bit compiler/assembler.  Nothing is "interpreted."

* Free, public domain, and 100% open source.

* Source files and the command line window can have graphics, links, icons,
trees, colors, super/sub scripts, margins.  Everything is seamless through-out
the tool chain.  No need for separate resource files.

* Just-in-time compilation.  No need for object or exe files.

* Graphics in source code.  No need for resource files.

* 64-bit pointers.  All memory, even more than 4 Gig, can be directly accessed
by all tasks on all cores at all times.

* Highest CPU privileged mode at all times.  No off-limits instructions.  No
time lost changing modes or address maps.  Switches tasks in half a microsecond.

* CD/DVD reading and writing, ISO9660 file system.

* 640x480 16 color VGA graphics.

* Boot loaders for CD-ROM and hard disk.

* Keyboard & mouse support.

* Hard drives, support for FAT32 and LoseThos native file systems with file
compression.

* 2D/3D Graphics library

* Real-time fancy differential-equation solver (physics engine) for use in
games.  Adaptive step-size Runge-Kutta, interpolated for real-time.

* Tools/utilities including profiler, merge and diff.

* HD Audio and many songs.

* Demos and documentation.

* All source code included.  Only compiles with the included LoseThos compiler
and assembler.

* "Core_i7", "Core_2_Duo", "Pentium_D", and "Pentium_4_Extreme_Edition" are
trademarks of Intel Corp.

http://www.losethos.com/

Software Santa first opened on January 1st, 2007
Now celebrating 16 Years of being a Digital Santa Claus!
Software Santa's Speedy Site is Proudly Hosted by A2 Hosting.

Welcome Visitor:

@MEMBER OF PROJECT HONEY POT
Spam Harvester Protection Network
provided by Unspam

Software Santa Welcome Page

The Software Santa Privacy Policy

email