Author Topic: WinDirStat is a disk usage statistics viewer and cleanup tool for Windows  (Read 3822 times)

Software Santa

• Administrator
WinDirStat is a disk usage statistics viewer and cleanup tool for Windows - also does Tree map displays!!!

http://windirstat.info/

WinDirStat is a disk usage statistics viewer and cleanup tool for various versions of Microsoft Windows.

Note: if you are looking for an alternative for Linux, you are looking for KDirStat (apt-get install kdirstat on Debian-derivatives) and for MacOS X it would be Disk Inventory X or GrandPerspective.

Please visit the WinDirStat blog for more up-to-date information about the program.

On start up, it reads the whole directory tree once and then presents it in three useful views:
  • The directory list, which resembles the tree view of the Windows Explorer but is sorted by file/subtree size,
  • The treemap, which shows the whole contents of the directory tree straight away,
  • The extension list, which serves as a legend and shows statistics about the file types.

The treemap represents each file as a colored rectangle, the area of which is proportional to the file's size. The rectangles are arranged in such a way, that directories again make up rectangles, which contain all their files and subdirectories. So their area is proportional to the size of the subtrees. The color of a rectangle indicates the type of the file, as shown in the extension list. The cushion shading additionally brings out the directory structure.

Options

* Coupling. Select an item in the directory list: The treemap highlights it; and vice versa.
    * Zooming.
    * Built-in cleanup actions including Open, Show Properties, Delete.
    * User-defined cleanups (command line based).
    * Works with network drives and UNC paths.
    * 'Create disk usage report' option.
    * 'Submit bug report/Feedback' option.
    * Online help.
    * setup.exe.
    * Language can be set to Czech, German, English, Spanish, French, Hungarian, Italian, Polish and Russian.
      Just have a look at the Translation website if you want to help or if you want to know more.

Platforms and Status

WinDirStat is known to run on all current Windows systems.
The current version 1.1.2 is stable.

What is a Treemap?

The treemap represents each file as a colored rectangle, the area of which is proportional to the file's size. The rectangles are arranged in such a way, that directories again make up rectangles, which contain all their files and subdirectories. So their area is proportional to the size of the subtrees. The color of a rectangle indicates the type of the file, as shown in the extension list. The cushion shading additionally brings out the directory structure. Treemaps were invented by Ben Shneiderman (www.cs.umd.edu/hcil/treemap-history).

Origin

When I came across the KDE program KDirStat (kdirstat.sourceforge.net), I was fascinated and enthusiastic about it, as it is probably the same with many others. I was thinking of writing a disk usage tool before, and I saw: that's it!
As I am Windows developer and didn't find anything equivalent for Windows, I decided to write WinDirStat. It was fun. Enjoy it.

The Future

* The ability to select (and cleanup) more than one file at the same time will be a natural enhancement.
    * We'll study SequoiaView's filtering capabilities again and possibly implement filters. However, we want to keep WinDirStat's user interface as simple and natural as possible.
    * Support for an optional windirstat.ini file will be added, so that all settings can easily be ported to other machines and there is no registry footprint at all.
    * Saving the current scan to a file.
    * Plugin-system to extend the features of WinDirStat via a simple plugin-API.
    * Check for updates as a menu item on the help menu.

https://sourceforge.net/projects/windirstat/

http://windirstat.info/  

Categories: Utilities - Hard Drive - Disc Mapping - Windows - Cushion Treemaps
« Last Edit: May 02, 2015, 05:35:09 PM by Software Santa »

Software Santa first opened on January 1st, 2007
Now celebrating 16 Years of being a Digital Santa Claus!
Software Santa's Speedy Site is Proudly Hosted by A2 Hosting.

Welcome Visitor:

@MEMBER OF PROJECT HONEY POT
Spam Harvester Protection Network
provided by Unspam

Software Santa Welcome Page

The Software Santa Privacy Policy