Author Topic: Tic Tac Toe is a 2D Graphical Tic Tac Toe that has a simple programmer art  (Read 1949 times)

Software Santa

• Administrator
  • Operating System:
  • Mac OS X 10.6 Mac OS X 10.6
  • Browser:
  • Firefox 23.0 Firefox 23.0
Tic Tac Toe is a 2D Graphical Tic Tac Toe that has a simple programmer art

Tic Tac Toe - Graphical
Start Date: 6/21/2007
Lines of Code: 2600
Languages\Frameworks: C#
 DirectX

Authors: Brandon "Chester" McCulligh

Launch Location: C:\Program Files\Brandon McCulligh\Tic-Tac-Toe
Operating Systems: Windows XP and Higher

2D Graphical Tic Tac Toe that has a simple programmer art, functional menu that supports 1 or 2 player or networked gameplay.  This was my first graphical game that I built, I originally wrote the game in 2007; although I never felt this was "finished" as the Multiplayer and Options were not implemented. It was basically the DOS version but with crude programmer art graphics.

In 2010 after I had a couple of other proof of concepts and a better understanding of programming overall, I went back and majorly refactored the code and finished what I originally wanted for for this game. The original code had 2900 lines and took 4 days to write (4x24 hours). After the refactoring and the added functionality the code is only 2600 lines and took 2 days and 2.5 hours to complete.

This version supports basic TCP multi-player, however this was written shortly after reading TCP/IP Sockets in C# (fantastic introductory book) so the network layer is very crude and hackable.

The main problem I ran into with this project was I scoped way to much, I finished some DirectX tutorials and thought I was ready to make a full blown networked game. In the end this hurt me a lot as I was way over my head. I should've just wrote a graphical layer on top of the dos version, no networking, and all of the other functionality.

All in all this project looks terrible, the code is terrible as refactoring could only take it so far without rewriting the whole thing under my DirectX engine, but I learnt a vast amount from writing it.

http://brandonmcculligh.ca/ProjectPage.aspx?Category=Games

Software Santa first opened on January 1st, 2007
Now celebrating 16 Years of being a Digital Santa Claus!
Software Santa's Speedy Site is Proudly Hosted by A2 Hosting.

Welcome Visitor:

@MEMBER OF PROJECT HONEY POT
Spam Harvester Protection Network
provided by Unspam

Software Santa Welcome Page

The Software Santa Privacy Policy