Author Topic: Pulsar Chess Engine is a FAIRY CHESS playing chess game for Android / iOS device  (Read 3395 times)

Software Santa

• Administrator
  • Operating System:
  • Mac OS X 10.13 Mac OS X 10.13
  • Browser:
  • Firefox 72.0 Firefox 72.0
Pulsar Chess Engine is an Add Free FAIRY CHESS playing chess game for Android (Droid >= 4.1) or iOS devices (iOS >= 7.0).

You can play ordinary Chess - or special types of VARIANT (AKA "Fairy") CHESS - on your Mobile device!!!

The Pulsar Chess Engine plays Chess, with difficulty levels, and six variants of chess that are Chess960, Crazyhouse, Atomic Chess, Loser's Chess, Giveaway (also known as Suicide Chess – goal is to lose your pieces) and Three Checks. I originally developed it as as a chess engine or program and over time taught it to play the variants as well. In chess it values mobility and open play more than closed positions. At variants, each has it's own style.

(Better set it to Novice Level!!)

Pulsar logs all its games and they can be opened in the Game menu. Newest games are on top and if the game is a chess game, Stockfish engine analysis is available.

Pulsar includes levels for all its games and the rules of Chess and each variant are included as well. It's add free. It defaults to chess at Easy (which is about 1200 rating: so not entirely novice) if the users just starts playing, otherwise go to the game button and choose new game to configure a more specific game. Last game type played is saved on restart of the app. There are some choices for board colors and chess pieces as well as the apps background color. This is the same Pulsar chess program that I started for computers beginning in 1998.

Pulsar started as a chess program and over time learned variants. It remains an interesting chess only program if the users it not interested in variants and I tend to just play chess. I ran it extensively on two chess servers testing the app against strong players and also testing how to handicap it on handicapped computer bots. The ratings that appear on the board when selecting from the first 8 difficulty levels are estimates based on what I saw running it at various strengths.

On game / new game if play vs the computer is unchecked the user can play in two person mode which I've found useful when I have a device and want to play a chess game but no chess board with another person who is present.

The Atomic Chess variant in Pulsar follows ICC rules and has no concept of check and king can castle in check. In Crazyhouse the user can use a turn to drop on board any of the pieces they have captured and the piece palette with the drop pieces appears to right of board. So if you try to the app to play chess(main thing I play) or Crazyhouse or play Atomic or any of the other chess variants like Loser's Chess, enjoy the app and the game play and feel free to let us know what you think if you want.

The engine code on all platforms, mobile and Computers is pulsar2009-b. If users follow the support link or visit developer website, they can get pulsar2009-b binaries that work on all the different computer operating systems in Winboard Protocol supported clients. I have decided to not release an Android binary at this time. Partly because we use the Winboard Protocol and the UCI official protocol does not support all the variants Pulsar plays so it would not run in UCI clients.

http://www.lanternchess.com/pulsar/

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.lantern.michaeladams.pulsarchessengine

https://apps.apple.com/us/app/pulsar-chess-engine/id839640447

Software Santa first opened on January 1st, 2007
Now celebrating 16 Years of being a Digital Santa Claus!
Software Santa's Speedy Site is Proudly Hosted by A2 Hosting.

Welcome Visitor:

@MEMBER OF PROJECT HONEY POT
Spam Harvester Protection Network
provided by Unspam

Software Santa Welcome Page

The Software Santa Privacy Policy

email